There are Nigeria has Five (5) functioning International and Eleven (11) Local Airports operated by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN). Nigeria also has a state owned airport located in Akwa Ibom State.it is of high importance to know there are airstrips or airfields scattered around the country, built mainly by the Nigerian Air Force and multinational oil companies.
International Airports In Nigeria: it offers immigration and customs facilities for passengers traveling between counties. It’s usually larger than the domestic airport. It’s features longer runways and facilities to accommodate the heavier aircraft commonly used for international and intercontinental travel. Below is the list of the five International Airports in Nigeria and their various locations.
- Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja, Lagos
- Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano
- Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja
- Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu
- Port Harcourt International Airport, Port Harcourt
Domestic Airports (Major): as the name implies, it only offers domestic services i.e flight within the same country. Domestic airports do not have customs and immigration facilities i.e cannot handle flights to or from a foreign airport. It has short runways compare to the international airport. Below is the list of the 11 (eleven) Domestic Airports in Nigeria and their various locations.
- Benin Airport: This is one of the oldest airports in the country, constructed in 1956 and located in Benin City, Edo State.
- Ilorin Airport: The Airport was commissioned on February 16, 1978. It is located at Fili area of Ilorin about 9km Southwest of Ilorin town.
- Sokoto Airport: Sultan Abubakar III International Airport, Sokoto was commissioned on February 17, 1982, located at South-south West of Sokoto.
- Yola Airport: The Airport is located at Jimeta, about 8km Northwest of Yola.
- Ibadan Airport: Commissioned in June, 1982, Ibadan Airport is located at Alakia, which is between Adegbaiji community and Iwo Road.
- Kaduna Airport: Kaduna Airport is located about 12km from Kaduna Metropolis. The nearest community to the Airport is Isira Community.
- Kastina Airport: Katsina Airport commenced operation on the 22nd December 1991. It is located southwest of Katsina at and about 4km from the metropolis. The nearest towns and distances to the airport are Modoju 2KM, Makeva 3KM, and Kayanki 5KM.
- Maiduguri Airport: The Airport serves as both domestic and international operations during Hajj operations. The Airport is located in Maiduguri and it is also surrounded by Bulunkutu, Shiwari, Shelmari and Muronti communities.
- Makurdi Airport: Makurdi Airport commenced operation in 1983. The Airport is located at Fili along Makurdi Gboko road.
- Minna Airport: Minna Airport was commissioned on 20th June 1990 by the former Military Head of State, General Ibrahim Babangida. The Airport is located in Maikunkele Bosso Local Government Area of Niger State.
- Akure Airport: Akure Airport was commissioned on 8th February 1986 as a Domestic Airport.
How many Internationals And Local Airports are In Nigeria. (List)